Pages

Wednesday 22 August 2012

What will it take??

I've been thinking this week about what will get people to make lifestyle changes. Particularly men. As we all know men's health is in most cases worse than that of our female counterparts. There are probably lots of different reasons for this - many of which science probably is not yet aware of. Whatever the reason the issue still remains.

What we need to do is find out what the motivator is for men to have healthy lifestyles. Clients of mine seem to be so busy being busy that they forget that life isn't all about "busyness". You've probably heard of the 4 hour workweek - the book that outlines how we can aim to be more effective in what we do, thus freeing up time to do more of what we want to do. It's a great book to read - even better if you actually apply some of it!

Anyway after reading that and doing some thinking I've decided to focus the work I do more on men's health. Today I read this article today which highlighted for me what happens when we don't make the changes we need to make - and this guy is only 39! Pretty sad really. It is said that sudden death is usually the first sign of cardiovascular disease - too late to know obviously. This guy was lucky.

So the question is what will motivate our men to do make lifestyle changes they need to make? Surely it doesn't have to get to the point that they have a cardiac arrest! Any ideas? I would love to hear from you about the men in your life and what motivates them or what you think would motivate them...


2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know the answer to this one too! What motivates YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Angela! sorry havent been on here for a while. Great question though.. what motivates me? Well that's probably a combination of wanting to feel the best that I can so I can do all the stuff I want to be able to do, and wanting to be the best example of health I can be for my kids. I don't want to be the dad that can't do anything with his kids and miss out on the fun times with them - particularly when they start getting a little older and the challenge becomes keeping up with them!!

    ReplyDelete